It's about time for Dessert
I've started taking along my favorite desserts, like pudding and gelatin-based mixes.
Backpackers normally overlook such goodies because refrigeration is a must.
In fact, most backcountry areas offer natural refrigeration.
Prepare your preferred dessert and place it in a zipper-lock bag inside another.
Toss the bag into shallow, cold water or snow. Or simply fill another bag with
cold water or snow, then place your dessert bag inside that "mini-fridge."
- At high altitudes: snow or ice
- At low altitudes: mountain streams
- In the warm flatlands: a river or pond
Pudding sets up in about 10 minutes, and it can take as long as 4 hours for gelatin
to get wiggly. If you got a lot of time, it isn't a bad idea at all.
Make Your Own ...
Peel one piece of banana and keep the peel intact and scoop out about 1/3 of the
banana. Place broken pieces of chocolate bar and some marshmallows inside and
cover with the banana peel wrap in aluminum foil
- bananas (amount desired)
- chocolate bars (1/2 for each banana)
- marshmallows (mini work best)
Throw it into the fire. Take out in about 30 min. You can use peanut butter chips,
colored marshmallows or add nuts.
Fudge in a plastic Bag
Place all ingredients in one of the plastic bags, close and put it in the
next bag. Give everyone a turn at squishing the bags to mix.
Mix until smooth... Enjoy
- 1 1/2 oz pkg of cream cheese
- 1/2 lb box of powdered sugar
- 1 packets of cocoa mix or 1/4 cup of cocoa
- 1 tablespoons of butter
- Two 2-Litre plastic bags
Backpacker Rice Pudding
Combine all ingredients in a pot and bring to a light boil over
medium heat. Remove from stove, cover, and let stand for 5 minutes.
Serve hot on a cold morning for breakfast or on a cold night for dessert.
- 2/3 Cup powdered milk
- 1 Cup instant rice
- 1/2 Teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 Pinch nutmeg
- 1/2 Cup instant vanilla pudding
- 1 Cup raisins
- 2 Cups water
Dessert Cherry Almond Couscous
Combined all dry ingredients in a heavy freezer ziplock bag .
Add 1 cup of boiling water into the baggy. Zip up and set aside for 10 minutes.
- 1/2 cup whole wheat couscous
- 1/2 cup powdered milk
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
- 1/3 cup chopped almonds
- 2 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/8 or less teaspoon salt
- 1 cup hot water
Known Brands ...
- Blueberry Scone Mix (requires oven)
- Fudge Brownie Mix (requires oven)
- Lemon Cream Pie
- Apple Blueberry Fruit Cobbler
- Banana Foster
- Dried Mixed Fruits